Nardello & Co. is seeking a Managing Director to serve as the operational lead for its Digital Investigations and Cyber Defense Practice. This role is designed for an experienced technical leader in digital forensics/incident response who can manage complex cyber incidents, supervise and direct the work of the firm’s digital investigations staff, and enhance and develop the firm’s growing technical talent pool and capabilities.
The Managing Director will also build and manage the firm’s global relationships with external digital-forensics resources and oversee digital forensics work. The applicant should have the experience and technical mindset to closely manage such investigations, including hands-on execution of key tasks such as processing and analyzing digital evidence.
The Managing Director should understand how traditional evidence and investigative techniques can enhance digital forensic evidence and work to enhance the ability to employ dynamically digital evidence in traditional investigations. This will include creatively managing digital forensics work to maximize its value to a larger investigation and ensuring that case teams understand the range of options available.
In addition, the Managing Director will provide guidance to internal stakeholders to enhance the firm’s cyber risk mitigation program and capabilities.
To apply, please click here.
About our firm
Nardello & Co. is a global investigations firm whose experienced professionals handle a broad range of issues including due diligence, anti–corruption & fraud investigations, civil and white collar criminal litigation and arbitration support, asset tracing, activist defense, political risk and strategic intelligence, digital investigations and cyber defense, monitorships and independent investigations, and compliance.
Our clients include the world’s leading law firms and financial institutions, Fortune 500 and FTSE 100 companies, high–net–worth individuals and family offices, governments, NGOs, sports organizations, and academic institutions.
With offices in New York, London, Washington DC, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Milan, and Dubai, Nardello & Co. maintains a professional staff that includes former US federal prosecutors, US and international lawyers, former law enforcement personnel and intelligence operatives, licensed investigators, research analysts, former journalists, financial crime specialists, forensic accountants, and computer forensic experts.
- Supervise the delivery of technical services by the firm’s digital investigations team, including those involving digital forensics/incident response, security assessment and advice, incident preparedness, among others.
- Provide subject-matter expertise to the pursuit of new business opportunities, including engagement scoping, budgeting, and proposal development.
- Investigate cybersecurity incidents to uncover facts revealing the cause, scope, and impact of the incident. Includes the ability to perform host-based and network-based analysis across all major operating systems and network device platforms.
- Preserve, harvest, and analyze data from electronic sources, including laptop and desktop computers, servers, and mobile devices.
- Develop and evaluate cybersecurity programs for a wide variety of organizations and provide containment/remediation guidance.
- Develop in-house digital-forensics capabilities, ensuring that teams are using best available technology, actively mentoring junior staff, and developing and refining policies for the collection and analysis of digital evidence.
- Evaluate and maintain relationships with external technical specialists and closely manage the work of these providers.
- Explain the specifics of technical work to non-specialists, including clients and colleagues.
- Consult with and take direction from supervisors, engagement managers, and clients regarding case investigation and status.
- Participate in technical meetings and working groups to address issues related to cybersecurity and incident preparedness and create targeted remediation plans for clients.
Experience & Qualifications
- Seven to fifteen years’ experience delivering technical services involving digital forensics/incident response, security assessment and advice, incident preparedness, and digital and traditional investigations.
- Strong work ethic and motivation, with a demonstrated history of ability to lead a team and develop talent. Even stronger analytic, quantitative, and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Experience with most common operating systems (Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android) and their file systems (ext3/4, HFS+, APFS, NTFS, exFAT, etc.).
- Proficiency with industry-standard DFIR toolsets, including X-Ways, EnCase, FTK, Cellebrite, Blackbag, and Volatility.
- Experience with cloud infrastructures for the enterprise, such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform/G Suite, Office 365, and Azure. Experience with conducting log analysis of Windows Event Logs, Apache, IIS, and firewall logs.
- One or more digital forensics and incident response certifications, such as GCIH, GCFE, GCFA, GNFA, or equivalent government forensic certifications.
- Experience with command line tools (grep, sed, awk, powershell), python, and other programming languages.
- Familiarity with computer system hardware and software installation and troubleshooting.
- Proficiency with MS Office Applications.
- Government or law enforcement experience is preferred.
- Supervisory/management experience strongly preferred.
- Analytical and creative approach to investigations.
- Effective and articulate communication skills and an ability to explain complex concepts in layman’s terms.
- A broad understanding of the principals of IT security, penetration testing, and incident-response. Specific experience in these areas will be viewed positively but is not mandatory.
- Ability to anticipate and respond to changing priorities and operate effectively in a dynamic, demand-based environment, requiring flexibility and responsiveness to client matters and needs.
- Ability to work collaboratively across agencies and physical locations.
- Participation in technical meetings and working groups to address issues related to malware security, vulnerabilities, and issues of cybersecurity and preparedness.
- A high level of professionalism in all areas of performance.
Travel & Remote Work
This role requires candidates who can work regularly in Nardello & Co.’s New York City and/or Washington, DC offices, with occasional domestic and internal travel to deliver onsite services to client on an as needed basis.
Nardello & Co. offers employees a competitive set of benefits, including remote work arrangements.
To apply, please click here.
Nardello & Co. is a proven leader in investigative fact finding, delivering strategic advice that informs and assists our clients’ decision-making in a thoughtful, timely, and cost effective manner, helping them build stronger litigation positions, avoid potentially reputation-damaging associations, identify any corrupt practices, links with organized crime, or politically exposed persons, in challenging jurisdictions around the world or right next door.
At Nardello & Co., we routinely handle a variety of complex investigations, including those relating to internal fraud and corruption, asset tracing, bribery, and money laundering matters. We are also called upon in complex litigation assignments to develop tangible and admissible evidence, to analyze information that allows our clients to restructure transactions and save them from embarrassing or financially damaging engagements and to help companies navigate the rumor mill in environments where opaque governments and corruption present operational challenges.