Amie Chang is a Managing Director at Nardello & Co. and the Head of the firm’s Los Angeles office, where she leads complex, multi-jurisdictional due diligence, strategic intelligence, fraud, asset tracing and litigation support investigations. Prior to her return to the US, Amie lived and worked in Asia for over a decade.
Amie's experience includes overseeing multiple due diligence investigations on behalf of financial institutions that sought to better understand the owners of prospective investment targets or acquisition partners, oftentimes high-net-worth individuals in their own right with mysterious sources of wealth and political connections. She has also managed a civil litigation support matter on behalf of an Asia-based investor who sought to recover their investment into a fraudulent real estate investment scheme in the US that involved defendants with touchpoints in the US and Asia.
- Led a complex due diligence investigation on behalf of a global financial institution that sought to understand a high-net-worth Asian investor’s mysterious source of wealth. The investigation found that the investor, who presented himself as the owner of a small private company, maintained a complicated network of business interests and senior-level positions in companies that had not previously been disclosed to our client. The investor was also found to maintain overlapping business interests with the family members and close associates of senior government officials of an Asian country, some of whom had been the subjects of a government-led anti-corruption campaign.
- Led a strategic intelligence investigation examining the potential sanctions exposure of a multinational client, which discovered that it had inadvertently conducted business with a company that allegedly had ties to the North Korean regime. The investigation confirmed that the company in question, a small representative office, was in actuality operating as an overseas branch of a US-sanctioned trading company belonging to the North Korean military-industrial complex.
- Led a search-and-locate and asset tracing investigation on behalf of a multinational company that was seeking to recover debt from the chairman of a former trading partner. The chairman maintained a very low public domain profile as a result of numerous bankruptcies and litigation over the years and had even kept his employees unaware of his whereabouts. Through meticulous searches of available public records and a discreet site visit, the chairman was successfully located, with a number of recently established business interests and newly acquired properties in a new jurisdiction that the client had not previously associated with the chairman.
Just the Facts
- BA, Political Science and International Relations, Boston College
- Chambers and Partners 2022 Crisis & Risk Management Guide: Band 1
- Chambers and Partners 2022 Litigation Support Guide: Spotlight Table (Asia-Pacific)
- Korean (conversant)
- Mandarin (conversant)
- Portuguese (conversant)