President and Chief Operating Officer Sabina Menschel works in the firm’s Washington, DC office. Sabina has more than 20 years of experience leading domestic and international due diligence, litigation support, fraud, and global asset recovery investigations on behalf of financial institutions, law firms, corporations, and individuals. In addition to leading complex investigations, Sabina works with the firm’s executive committee to manage global operations. She has been recognized by Global Investigations Review as one of the leading Women in Investigations and by Chambers and Partners as a Band 2 investigator in their 2022 Litigation Support Guide for Business Intelligence & Investigations.
- Sabina led Nardello & Co.’s engagement as the independent investigator pursuing a settlement between the State of New York and leading tobacco manufacturers. Her mandate was to assess and review information provided by the interested parties and to carry out an independent review of cigarette purchases to determine the number of Native American tribal cigarette packs sold to New York consumers on which the state did not collect excise tax. The assessment comprised open-source research, surveillance, and source inquiries as well as an econometric analysis and the evaluation of evidence provided by tobacco manufacturers and New York State. Nardello & Co.’s findings determined the credit to which each tobacco company was entitled toward their payments to the State of New York under the 1998 Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement.
- Sabina led investigations into proxy slates submitted by dissident shareholders. This work included: exposing integrity issues; identifying undisclosed liabilities such as regulatory issues and significant litigation matters; documenting misrepresentations, misstatements, or material omissions in securities filings; uncovering conflicts of interest; and identifying undisclosed relationships and affiliations to establish that adverse parties were acting in concert.
- Sabina led the $1 billion asset recovery investigation of a family-controlled company for a US corporation in an assignment that spanned Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and the US and identified numerous businesses and substantial assets.
Just the Facts
- MBA, Harvard Business School
- AB, Harvard College
- Chambers and Partners 2022 Litigation Support Guide: Band 2
- 2018 Women in Investigations, Global Investigations Review
- Charina Endowment Fund, director
- Goddard Riverside Community Center, board member
- Sixth & I, board member
- Print Center New York, board member
- Only Make Believe, DC regional board member