Martin Stone is a partner and Senior Managing Director based in London. An experienced investigator and political analyst, Martin brings more than 25 years of expertise managing complex, multi-jurisdictional investigations and conducting political and strategic risk analysis for law firms, financial companies, and corporations.
Martin is the author of The Agony of Algeria (Columbia University Press) and has written numerous articles in the past two decades focusing on political risk. He has spoken on integrity and business, political, and security risks, as well as on all aspects of crisis management, addressing business and academic audiences throughout the EU, North America, the Gulf, and Asia.
- Martin supervised a multi-jurisdictional investigation on behalf of a law firm into allegations of corruption and nepotism made by a whistleblower against the local and foreign executives of a European energy company in a West African country. His team conducted digital forensic and accounting analysis, source interviews, and site visits to corroborate the allegations and identify those responsible.
- Martin managed and participated in a complex investigation to gather intelligence and evidence on behalf of a European client whose substantial investment in an industrial facility had been effectively expropriated illegally by a Southeast European government. His team conducted deep searches of the public domain, supplemented by interviews with a series of sources familiar with the matter across Southeast Europe, which assisted the client in complex international arbitration.
- Martin led an investigation on behalf of US investors into an investment firm recently established in Dubai that claimed to be well-connected with regional governments and ruling families. His extensive research and discreet source enquiries in the UAE, the Gulf, and the US revealed that the firm’s principal had an extensive criminal record in the US for fraud as well as regulatory disqualifications in several European countries for misrepresentation and financial misconduct.
Just the Facts
- University of Edinburgh, MA (Hons), Arabic with Turkish
- Open University, MBA
- Chambers and Partners 2021 Litigation Support Guide: Band 2
- Who's Who Legal: Asset Recovery Experts 2021
- Chambers and Partners 2020 Litigation Support Guide: Band 3
- The Agony of Algeria (Columbia University Press)